System Upgrade
Scheduled Maintenance Report for Kraken
We are still working to reopen margin trading, but will update on this later in a new status report.
Posted Jan 18, 2018 - 06:48 UTC
We are working to reopen margin trading but can't commit to a time yet. We are approaching 2x our previous 24h volume record and other systems previously protected by the limits of the old trading engine are now starting to be strained. We're increasing capacity to eliminate the new performance bottlenecks.
Posted Jan 16, 2018 - 20:00 UTC
If you are still seeing the 'maintenance' message on the homepage or the 'disabled' message on the withdrawals page, try a hard refresh by holding the shift key down while hitting the reload button on your browser.
Posted Jan 15, 2018 - 06:39 UTC
Withdrawals are now enabled. We are aware of a rare issue preventing some new withdrawal addresses from being confirmed. Please try another address if this happens. Also, if you held bitcoin on your Kraken account at Bitcoin block #472889, you have been credited with your Stellar lumen (XLM) from the last airdrop. Note: the new trading interface still uses the old STR ticker (
Posted Jan 14, 2018 - 23:59 UTC
Our highest priority now is getting withdrawals back online. We expect to be able to reopen withdrawals no later than 01:00 AM UTC Monday (5:00 PM PT Sunday).
Posted Jan 14, 2018 - 18:29 UTC
The system is performing and services are stable. There are minor issues being addressed (thank you for the reports). All funds remain secure as we continue preparations for withdrawal activation. We're continuing to closely monitor all services.
Posted Jan 14, 2018 - 06:35 UTC
We've cleared the order book and resumed trading. If your order book data looks stale, try refreshing. We're continuing to closely monitor the service.
Posted Jan 13, 2018 - 15:47 UTC
Order book data is not being displayed properly. Pausing trading while we investigate.
Posted Jan 13, 2018 - 11:54 UTC
Orders appear to be filling in and executing as expected. The aforementioned blog post can be found here:
Posted Jan 13, 2018 - 11:40 UTC
Systems are back online. The new trading engine is live. Withdrawals are temporarily suspended while we monitor for anomalies. Unleveraged trading is free for the remainder of the month. More details will be posted to the blog ( momentarily.
Posted Jan 13, 2018 - 11:30 UTC
We are preparing to relaunch the site shortly. All orders have been canceled. More details to come soon.
Posted Jan 13, 2018 - 09:32 UTC
We are still working to track down an elusive bug which is holding up launch. This bug did not appear in our many weeks of testing and only emerged in the production environment. Unfortunately, it is not consistently reproducible and we cannot launch until this issue is resolved. To reiterate our earlier statement: stale (and possibly all) orders will be canceled, and liquidations will be paused before trading is resumed. We will be offering a substantial amount of free trading following resolution. All funds remain secure.
Posted Jan 12, 2018 - 20:15 UTC
We are still working to resolve the issues that we have identified and our team is working around the clock to ensure a smooth upgrade.

This means it may still take several hours before we can relaunch the site.
Posted Jan 12, 2018 - 12:05 UTC
We are still working on the upgrade and may be offline for several more hours. Will provide another update when we get closer to coming back online. 

This means the Site will not be up after 9:00AM UTC (1:00AM PT).
Posted Jan 12, 2018 - 08:00 UTC
We are close but rather than launch immediately ahead of the team passing out, we will push off a bit to get some rest and be able to better monitor systems and react to problems following launch. Unfortunately, this means several more hours of delay. We do not have a definite time but it will not be before 9:00AM UTC (1:00AM PT).
Posted Jan 12, 2018 - 03:46 UTC
Thank you for your continued patience while we work through these unexpected and delicate issues. We are continuing to make progress but don't have a specific timeline for relaunch at the moment.
Posted Jan 12, 2018 - 03:11 UTC
Inching our way to the finish line over here, devs mainlining coffee. Funds are all secure and protracted downtime has nothing to do with funding/reserves. Yes, this is our new record for downtime since we launched in 2013. No, we're not proud of it. Working hard to ensure that when we come back online things are running as smoothly and safely as possible. We'll give you another update in a few hours or as soon as we have something new to report.
Posted Jan 12, 2018 - 00:43 UTC
We are making progress on the few remaining issues but don't have a definite launch time yet. We intend to cancel stale (and possibly all) orders and pause liquidations upon resuming service. More details to follow soon. Thank you for your patience.
Posted Jan 11, 2018 - 21:41 UTC
We are currently working to resolve a number of issues that came up during final testing. At this stage it is uncertain when exactly these issues can be fixed, but we will update again when a more definite ETA can be given.
Posted Jan 11, 2018 - 19:07 UTC
In the final stage of installing the upgrade now. We are getting close but hard to give an exact ETA since it depends on how the final testing goes.
Posted Jan 11, 2018 - 15:27 UTC
The upgrade is going much more slowly than anticipated. It will probably be two hours or more until systems are back online.
Posted Jan 11, 2018 - 12:14 UTC
We are still working on the upgrade and may be offline for another hour or more. Will provide another update when we get closer to coming back online.
Posted Jan 11, 2018 - 10:01 UTC
We got a late start and the upgrade is moving slower than anticipated. We now expect to be able to bring services back online by Thursday, 10:00am UTC (2:00am PT) but will keep you updated as we get further in to the process.
Posted Jan 11, 2018 - 07:34 UTC
In progress
Scheduled maintenance is currently in progress. We will provide updates as necessary.
Posted Jan 11, 2018 - 05:00 UTC
We are performing a system upgrade on Thursday, January 11 at approximately 5:00 UTC (Wednesday January 10 at 9 pm PT). Kraken services will be offline for about 2 hours during the upgrade, possibly longer. Withdrawals in all currencies will be offline for an additional 2-3 hours after other systems come online. If you submit a withdrawal request while withdrawals are offline, the withdrawal will be sent after withdrawals come online again.
Posted Jan 10, 2018 - 21:59 UTC